When Canada converted from miles to km, all the distance-based exit numbers
were of course converted at the same time.  I don't see this as being a problem.

John F-L
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Martin Vlietstra
  To: U.S. Metric Association
  Sent: Monday, December 28, 2009 8:03 PM
  Subject: [USMA:46314] Freeway Exit Numbers

  I understand that most US freeway exits are numbered with reference to the
number of miles from the state line (or the start of the freeway concerned).
In the Wikipedia article "Exit numbers"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_number), I saw the following:

  "United States - The use of sequential or distance-based exit numbering
currently varies by state, with 43 states using distance-based exit numbering
and seven states using sequential numbering. The latest edition of the Manual
on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), issued by the Federal Highway
Administration on December 16, 2009, eliminates the option for states to use
sequential exit numbering, and requires the seven states that presently number
their exits sequentially to convert to distance-based numbering by January
2020."
  There is more in the Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_numbers_in_the_United_States.
  Anybody have any comments?