The pixel I believe is an artifact of the display screen. It is rectilinear
on nearly all computer screens and is also square on most recent ones. Like
the dot in a dot matrix printer, it corresponds to an electric charge and is
dimensionless. An array of pixels can be electronically mapped onto an area
of any shape.

I see less ambiguity in saying "square meters": I have heard some people say
things like 3 square meters = 3 meters squared. In fact 3 meters squared = 9
square meters, as you know.

Thanks.