I apologize for the late reply, Mr. Trusten.

I live in San Antonio, but will be attending UT Austin in August (actually
going pre-pharm :).

I'll certainly keep that in mind; I just want to show some government
representatives that there is genuine interest in metricating the nation.
You're right; attempting to go metric without a comprehensive mandatory
metrication plan will fail just like thirty/forty years ago. (I must admit,
as bizarre as it sounds, I've created metrication PSAs and informational TV
ads *mentally* in my free time as an outlet of creativity, simply because
it's imperative that we have a well-thought-out public information campaign
once we have a nationally-coordinated metrication plan.)

Speaking of concentrating on popular support, I've convinced a few "the
metric system is stupid" friends to go as purely metric as possible in their
lives, as I have, and I think interest will grow. I'm in the process of
teaching my little sister the metric system. I've taught her to ignore the
USC on labels, told her that USC is overly complicated and given her no
conversion factors to reinforce only the metric. After only one hour of
teaching her the litre (with which she was already familiar), metre,
kilogram, and the divisions, and multiples thereof, and reading a few labels
with her—to familiarize her with the unit symbols—I found her reading all
the metric values on every label in the house by herself! (She was actually
in the pantry grabbing stuff off shelves when she should've been asleep!)
She was puzzled by "m²", so I was able to teach her about area as well! Small
steps, indeed; I'm optimistic.

Zach Rodriguez
http://twitter.com/#!/nativetexanzach