Kilopascal suggested that the UKMA should go around “correcting”
signposts. There is a simple reason why UKMA do not do that - ARM are a
bunch of vandals, UKMA are not.

  _____

From: Kilopascal [mailto:kilopas...@cox.net]
Sent: 12 August 2011 15:22
To: John M. Steele; U.S. Metric Association
Subject: Re: [USMA:50950] Road safety experts ignore UK sign problems

John,

Testing foreign drivers for a knowledge of imperial is both time consuming &
costly.  Plus, what would it really prove?  That Someone memorized a few
numbers from a book?  Plus such a suggestion is something the opposition
would propose as a means for foreigners to learn imperial.

Looking at Martin's comment concerning the data in his handbook, you will
notice that the imperial is in decimal inches.  From your own experience,
how many imperial/USC users can easily relate feet and inches, to decimal
inches or decimal feet?  At least quickly?

Consider a foreign driver who may know just enough imperial to be dangerous.
An imperial sign comes up quickly and he may have only seconds to decide if
his vehicle is going to fit?  If life-long imperial users can't switch
between feet & inches and decimal inches, how would a foreign driver who may
have learned just enough to pass the test?

I have to agree with Michael.  If ARM can run around replacing metric signs
with their own non-metric, why can't the UKMA organize a group of supporters
to produce and add the metric info to the existing signs, at least in the
areas of the most trouble, just to prove if it helps or doesn't?  Or does
that make too much logical sense?

*  John Steele says:

2011-08-11
<http://metricviews.org.uk/2011/07/road-safety-experts-ignore-uk-sign-proble
ms/comment-page-1/#comment-23261>  at 11:37

@Phil

But rather than administering an Imperial quiz to the driver, perhaps the
license of the driver and/or registration of the truck could be used as a
surrogate. If not UK, then assume a misunderstanding of Imperial may have
contributed. There will be exceptions in both directions, but it may provide
a good estimate from existing police reports.

In the case of naturalized UK citizens, you may have to ask where is he
originally from and how well does he understand imperial. I wouldn’t count
on all UK citizens understanding it well either, although it should be an
element of a commercial license exam.

*  Alex Bailey says:

2011-08-11
<http://metricviews.org.uk/2011/07/road-safety-experts-ignore-uk-sign-proble
ms/comment-page-1/#comment-23262>  at 11:48

One of the biggest problem with local authorities seems to be that they’re
only concerned with their current budget and the bottom line at the end of
the current financial year. Last time I spoke to my local authority to query
their policy on dual unit signs I was very much told that they did nothing
more than was legally permissible at the lowest possible cost.

What this seems to come down to yet again is that unless a higher authority
insists on metric on these signs then it’s going to be a long time before
it happens.

*  Michael Glass says:

2011-08-12
<http://metricviews.org.uk/2011/07/road-safety-experts-ignore-uk-sign-proble
ms/comment-page-1/#comment-23268>  at 04:48

Perhaps this is a time for local action. Why not design and produce
appropriate warning signs, tip off the media and then erect the signs. The
more publicity the better.

If the local authorities stop you or take down the signs, they are to blame
for putting petty rules and penny-pinching attitudes ahead of public safety.
If anti-metrication groups try to weigh in, they can be accused of putting
little England prejudice and pig-headed stupidity against the public
interest.

You have a wonderful opportunity to generate publicity. Seize the
opportunity!

*  Martin Vlietstra says:

2011-08-12
<http://metricviews.org.uk/2011/07/road-safety-experts-ignore-uk-sign-proble
ms/comment-page-1/#comment-23270>  at 07:53

The following was picked up from a road enthusiasts website
(http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8
<http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27908&start=20>
&t=27908&start=20):

I wonder how many drivers have any idea of how wide their vehicles are when
comparing them to a width restriction notice.

My manual gives it in both Metric (2000 mm) and Imperial (78.8″) over wing
mirrors. So even with that, nothing to compare easily with a sign in
feet/inches.

Bodywork is 1790 mm, 70.4″. I seems that when driving on the M4 from
Heathrow into London I am not permitted to use the perfectly normal-sized
lane 3 (the old bus lane) because this has a signed limit now of 6’6″,
unless I pull in my wing mirror a bit. Likewise any lane 3 through motorway
roadworks, signed as 6’6″. Until I wrote this I never realised.