Dear Mr. President,

Congratulations on your re-election! I understand that you will soon be
visiting Myanmar (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/33645929/ns/world_news/).  Our
two countries share a dubious distinction: neither uses the metric system of
measurement as the primary national measurement standard.

Only one other country shares this status: Liberia! All of the remaining
200-plus countries in the world use the metric measurement standard for
everyday trade and commerce.

 In your quest for the strengthening of international business ties, I hope you
will consider this 500-kilogram gorilla in the room. The time for U.S. joining
the world in the everyday use of the modern metric system is at hand.  The
Congress has already declared the metric system to be the preferred U.S.
measurement system, but we need your leadership to help make the changeover. I
urge you to speak on this issue.

SIncerely,

Paul R. Trusten
Registered Pharmacist
Vice President and Public Relations Director
U.S. Metric Association, Inc.
www.metric.org
trus...@grandecom.net
+1(432)528-7724