From: owner-u...@colostate.edu [mailto:owner-u...@colostate.edu] On Behalf Of
John M. Steele
Sent: 10 December 2012 11:44
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:52061] Re: FW: The Mathematical Formula For The Perfectly
Decorated Christmas Tree

My guess is the story is "corrupted" by journalists (including the PR flack at
the University) who don't know any better.  The actual code segment for the
calculator uses "cm."  Everything else in the article uses "cms."

And where does one find a 2600' (800 m, give or take) Xmas tree anyway?  It
should really stand out, but I'm not aware of any trees approaching this.

The formula for lights only allows for about three runs up the slant height of
the Xmas tree.  Off by an order of magnitude or more in my opinion, although
obviously a matter of taste. (Detroit has around a 15 m tree with 19000 lights,
not sure how long the strings are)