From: Michael Payne <metricmik...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:33 pm
Subject: [USMA:52690] Letters to Media
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>

I want to send this letter to Newspapers, TV stations, etc. I'd like feedback
as to additional data to include or exclude. Plus what to put at the beginning
to get their attention. I want to list the considerable number of people who
use metric every day at work and don't need metric edited out of their life by
TV stations and the newspapers.

Mike Payne

Why is it that Journalists
> believe everyone is innumerate, when they are in fact the only ones who are?

Read any article, watch any TV program and reference to any
> metric unit is erased and replaced by American Customary units, despite the
> fact that a considerable percentage of the American population use metric
> units
> every day in their work and personal lives.

The Auto industry in the US is completely metric in design
> and use of millimeter dimensioned nuts and bolts, millions of Americans work
> for both domestic and foreign car manufacturers, all of whom are metric from
> blueprint to final product. Millions more work on these vehicles using only
> millimeter size tools, and millimeter-designated clearances.

John Deere and Caterpillar Earthmoving equipment are 100%
> metric, millions of Americans work at building these products and work to
> maintain them all using metric tools.

The US Army is metric, talk to any soldier in the field and
> you’ll hear him talk of how many meters to a target, and the millimeters
> caliber
> of his weapon.

Hundreds of Thousands of Pilots work only in Celsius at US
> airports, as do Thousands of Air Traffic Controllers. Meteorologists use
> Celsius and meters when probing the atmosphere. When pilots travel outside
> North America they are exposed to pressure in Hectopascals and visibility in
> meters. When there is a hurricane, the low pressure is in millibars (aka hPa),
> otherwise it’s inches of mercury.

In hospitals, millions of medical staff measure blood
> pressure in millimeters of mercury, body temperature in Celsius and weigh
> patients in kilograms,  to calculate drug dose stated as
> grams, milligrams or micrograms per kilogram of body mass. Most newborns are
> weighed in grams, the results converted to pounds and ounces for parents.

Millions in the pharmaceutical industry use grams when
> calculating dosage for patients.

Millions of Scientists use the metric system exclusively as
> can be evidenced by their comments on science programs where the scientist
> speaks metric and the narrator speaks Customary.

Thousands of other American companies are metric or use
> metric every day.

Yet reading any article by an American journalist you’d
> think no one understood any metric unit, they all have to be exorcized from
> every newspaper and magazine.

Our athletes run 5 and 10 kilometer runs, the 100 m sprint,
> swim in 50 meter pools, jump meter high jumps, they are all familiar with the
> metric system.

So when is your newspaper/TV station going to acknowledge