From: "mechtly, eugene a" <mech...@illinois.edu>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Cc: "mechtly, eugene a" <mech...@illinois.edu>
Sent: Fri, May 3, 2013 10:48:59 PM
Subject: [USMA:52736] RE: NASA mT and K

Patrick,

Yes, the PDF file (on the Ares V) by Phil Sumrall  needs many corrections of
units before it it fit for reprinting!!!

For example, for the J-2X Engine Specification, Specific Impulse (Isp) has the
same unit as Exhaust Velocity, in  meters per second (in proper SI).  That is;
Force times time divided by mass reduces to a velocity, in m/s.

The present error is writing lbf times seconds divided by lbm; equating and
canceling lbf and lbm, and claiming that Isp is expressed in seconds.  Mass and
Force are distinctly different quantities.  Weight (lbf) is not relevant in the
definition of Specific Impulse!!!

Eugene Mechtly