Here are reasons for the preference:

Expressing power values in watts, rather than in the units of energy and
time, has the advantage of eliminating the confusion that results from the
existence of multitude of units for energy (J, Wh, cal, Bty, ......) and
for units of time (hour, day, month, week, year, minute, .....). That can
make comparisons difficult, confusing and conversions may introduce errors.
Furthermore, the unit of time is often not expressed *at all *as is
commonly done in, among others, the DOE documents.

As for the unit watt itself, it was coined to eliminate (for reasons
obvious to most USMA) all the prior power units such as the hp or the ton
(of ice).

There is no doubt that using only one unit for a physical quantity improves
communication and helps eliminate
accidents/injuries/misunderstandings/errors.

It is a sad state of our education, on all levels, and text books, that one
meets *engineers* who:
- try to convert  kW to kWh (it is impossible)
- consider W a unit of power and kW a unit of energy
- claim to pay in their utility bills for kW (instead of kWh)
- are unable to convert Wh to SI (J/s x 3600 s = 3.6 kJ).

Metric Today had an article about this a long, long time ago. Perhaps I'll
attach the manuscript. Yah, here it is.
Stan Jakuba