Parker Willey Jr. wrote,

> Hi:
> I was thinking the other day that some people think the word
> "metric" is foreign.  That could be one of the monkey wrenches
> that keeps our country mostly using legacy measures.
> So, since we use a decimal system of coinage, I propose that we
> call the metric system of weights and measures simpl;y the
> "Decimal" system of weights and measures.  That is what it is!
> In the United States, We can retain all the labels like liter,
> kilometer, meter, millimeter, hectare. etc.
> Now, think:  The "Decimal" system of weights and measures.
> Does that sound OK?

I think that would certainly help.
I think another ____________ would be to adjust some of the comparatives.

For instance, 1 gallon = 3.785411784 liters.
Or, more comparatively, 1 quart = .946352946 liters.
So, 10 L ≈ 10.566 qt. = 2.6415 gal.—which is easier to relate
to liters?
To get people comfortable with liters—say, in terms of gasoline—define it as “$/qt”, rather than “$/gal.”, and “mi/qt”, rather than “mi/gal.” (remember, this is just a transitional, getting people comfortable with the conversion magnitudes phase! P=)

Likewise, 1 fl oz. ≈ 29.5735 mL = 2.95735 cL—which more relates
to fl oz.?
The same approach applies to other designations:

1 m ≈ 3.28084 ft. = 39.37008 in.?
 or ≈ 1.09361 yd.?

1 oz. ≈ 28.35 g?
   or ≈ 2.835 dag?

29.86 inHg ≈ 758.4 mmHg ≈ 1011.2 hPa?
       or ≈  75.84 cmHg ≈ 101.12 kPa?

Another convoluted relationship is Fahrenheit and Celsius.
The Fahrenheit freezing point (0 °F) is based on a specific salt water mix (“brine”), thus the freezing point of “regular” fresh water is 32 °F, or 0 °C, while its boiling point is 212 °F, or 100 °C.
If you subtract 32 from 212, you get 180.
So, for the moment, letʼs define an “elementary” Fahrenheit, where
°E = °F − 32, thus the boiling point of (fresh) water is 180 °E/100 °C.
But wait, the Fahrenheit scale is sexagesimal degrees (“°”) in nature, while Celsius is centesimal degrees, or gradiens (“ᵍ”): The freezing to boiling point spread is 0 to 180° or 200ᵍ, so, based on °E, Celsius should be double its value, or bicentesimal, °B = 2×°C, thus
212 °F/100 °C should be 180 °E/200 °B (and, say, 77 °F/25 °C should be
45 °E/50 °B).
I realize that is a bit much to swallow all at once, but the immediate point here, is that a modified Fahrenheit expression should be used, getting people comfortable with a lower, actual/undistorted (“+32”) temperature.

     ~Kaimbridge~

-- -- --
     Wiki—Sites Contribution History Pages:

       en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Kaimbridge
         math.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/Kaimbridge
 wiki.gis.com/wiki/index.php/Special:Contributions/Kaimbridge
        rosettacode.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/Kaimbridge

     *****  Void Where Permitted; Limit 0 Per Customer.  *****