Nick, I had worked on something similar (a keep m-in-n block actually), and may have oversimplified things. I kept track of how many samples I outputted and set the tlast accordingly, wouldn't that solve the "reconstituting packet boundaries" issue you mentioned?

Also, I am not sure I investigated the blocking. I just suck in samples one at a time. If I don't need the sample, I dump it. If I want to pass the sample I wait until the downstream block is ready and pass it along. It seems to work for me, but maybe I just haven't pushed it hard enough to see the gotchyas. Did I oversimplify this?