Hey everyone!

This is my very first message, so apologies if I didnt send this correctly
😊.

I am also facing the same issue outlined by Paul and would really
appreciate some assistance with this. I am using an Ettus USRP E312, GNU
Radio 3.7.10.2 <+6137102> and Ubuntu 16.04.3. <+6116043> Here is what I
tried.

I first started by following the PyBOMBS process in [1] to setup the
cross-compile environment on my host machine (laptop). After using sshfs on
my sdr (USRP E312) I was unable to use the set_env file in the ~/usr
directory, but instead had to source the set_env file in ~/usr/usr. After
this, uhd_find_devices was routed properly, but uhd_usrp_probe gave me the
following error:

Error: RuntimeError: Expected FPGA compatibility number 255.x, but got 14.0:
The FPGA build is not compatible with the host code build.

Now I think this error is due to the fact that the script was trying to run
the default fpga image stored
in/usr/share/uhd/images/usrp_e310_fpga_sg3.bit which was developed for an
older (or different?) version of UHD. From the uhd_usrp_probe output it
says that my current version is UHD_4.0.0.rfnoc-devel-409-gec9138eb so I
tried to download the FPGA images for this version and store them inside
~/usr/usr/share/uhd/images/ and running "uhd_usrp_probe
--args='fpga=/home/root/usr/usr/share/uhd/images/usrp_e3xx_fpga_idle_sg3.bit'"
this
loaded up and gave me the exact same output error as what Paul got. I also
cannot run any uhd examples and get the same runtime error.

Following this, I tried [2], and the fosphor example at the end ran really
well. However, again I was unable to run any of the uhd examples after
this. I also found issues trying to run a simple BPSK transmitter that I
made with the B205. I was unable to use the USRP sink/sources in my GNU
Radio flowchart as it gave me the following error when running the python
script:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "simple_tx_e312.py", line 229, in <module>
main()
File "simple_tx_e312.py", line 218, in main
tb = top_block_cls()
File "simple_tx_e312.py", line 68, in __init__
channels=range(1),
File
"/home/root/usr/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/uhd/__init__.py",
line 122, in constructor_interceptor
return old_constructor(*args)
File
"/home/root/usr/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gnuradio/uhd/uhd_swig.py",
line 2082, in make
return _uhd_swig.usrp_sink_make(*args)
RuntimeError: RuntimeError: On node 0/FIFO_0, output port 0 is already
connected

I was able to run code by replacing the USRP Sink with an RFNoC Radio TX
block, however the FPGA image is missing the DMAFifo and DUC RFNoC blocks
so I directly connected my flowchart to a FIFO buffer -> RFNoC:Radio
TXblock. This produced a signal with a desired frequency response, but I
was unable to decode the signal when I ran it over the air and via a
coaxial cable. I tried many different configurations (over the air and via
coaxial cable) including an E312 TX -> E312 (another one) RX, E312 TX ->
B205 RX. I also tried B205 TX -> E312 RX and this worked perfectly. B205 TX
-> B205 RX with the same code also works well. This is why I think the
issue is due to the RFNoC Radio TX block. I am also unable to use the
Channel B TX/RX antennas or the GPSDO timing source as the images provided
in "uhd-images_4.0.0.rfnoc-devel-238-g39a41476 <+6141476>" and
"uhd-images_4.0.0.rfnoc-devel-409-gec9138eb" do not support these options
(I can send more specifics about this if it helps, otherwise I will create
a new thread in the near future).

Lastly, I have been following [3]. At the top of this document it does
state "
*However*, this document only covers using RFNoC for the USRP X300/X310.
Using RFNoC with the E310/E312 will be covered in another document.
" which is why I did not initially follow the instructions on this
document. Having read that now I found that there are several references to
the E310 throughout the document, which was very confusing. The document
states that the non-RFNOC fpga images should have DMAFifo and DUC blocks,
however whenever I tried loading these images via "uhd_usrp_probe
--args='fpga=...'" it always gave me same output as that in Paul's message
with always the following blocks included:

|*   |    /
*|*   |   |       RFNoC blocks on this device:
*|*   |   |
*|*   |   |   * Radio_0
*|*   |   |   * FIFO_0
*|*   |   |   * Window_0
*|*   |   |   * FFT_0
*|*   |   |   * fosphor_0
*|*   |   |   * FIFO_1

My next strategy is to create a custom FPGA image and try this by following
the instructions in [3]. Is this the only way to install the DMAFifo, DUC
RFNoC blocks to transmit on my E312? I may have made a mistake in my
understanding/diagnosis somewhere and would appreciate any help that you
may be able to give me. Thank you for your time in advance.

Ronakraj