On 04/10/2018 09:14 AM, Rob Kossler via USRP-users wrote:
> Hi,
> Within the last couple of weeks, the N310 tree went from having 1 front
> end to 2 front ends per daughterboard (A,B,C, or D).  What is the reason
> for this?  Why would the user want to choose subdev spec "A0" as opposed
> to "A1" and same for other paths?
>
> I attached the uhd_usrp_probe results from the most recent uhd version
> (2c9087d) as well as one from a couple of weeks ago (a1b5c4a) showing
> the difference in the trees.
> Rob

Hey Rob,

you found a bug. Let me clarify:

The subdev spec is a bit of an artefact from the past, so we're trying
to bridge the USRP stone age with the N310 future here. For that reason,
the four possible values for your subdev spec on the N310 are:

A:0 A:1 B:0 B:1

...and they correspond to the front panel labels:

RF0 RF1 RF2 RF3

The A and B signify both the physical daughterboard, as well as the
corresponding RFNoC block and RFNoC block controller (in software).

When we first released, we had A:0 B:0 C:0 D:0 for various reasons.
However, we wanted to change it to what we have now mostly because it
helps remind people that A:0 and A:1 are on the same hardware, share an
LO, and so on. When we did change it, we made a mistake that wasn't
caught until now.

We're working on a fix, as well as a clarification in the manual right now.

Hope this clears things up.

-- Martin