On 06/14/2018 09:12 PM, Walter Maguire via USRP-users wrote:
Hi all,

I have a few questions concerning the connectivity capability of the RFNoC system w.r.t the FPGA and the UHD driver.

The first of these concerns the limit of 16 CE blocks on the bus. In an early RFNoC presentation it was suggested that a bridging CE block could be designed to add another RFNoC network to the first RFNoC network in a sort of daisy chain mode . Do Ettus have any examples available which do this? Does the current UHD driver handle CE discovery or enumeration over nested RFNoC buses? My understanding is that whilst possible at a FPGA level it probably is not very practical and is not supported by the current UHD driver.

Moving on from the situation described above, we could potentially spread our RFNoC blocks over several USRP3 type devices using the SFP 10GSPs links to transfer between them. For example have one USRP3 device do the high speed front end processing and then pass the results via SFP to a second USRP device to do complex algorithms of the received data at a lower rate. How does the UHD driver and GNURadio handle this scenario? Do we have to have 2 versions of GNURadio running or does the UHD and GNURadio support seamless connectivity of the entire system, assuming all blocks are communicating using RFNoC packets?. Assuming the SFP connecting blocks are RFNoC bridge how does the system handle multiple RFNoC connections spread over multiple devices?

Another network type application might be looking at the same signal received in different locations where the USRP3 radios are connected by network to the one other USRP3 or PCs. How would this application be accommodated for using the current UHD and GNURadio systems?

Regards

Walter

Certainly the scenario where one or more PCs are connected to one or more USRPs can be made to work with existing tooling.

The simplest scenario is the well-supported "multi-usrp" on a single host PC with one or more USRP devices connected. Various larger-scale
  MIMO demos use this all the time from what I understand.

Once you move beyond a single PC, and view your collection of USRPs and PCs as a kind of "radio processing fabric", then, no, UHD itself has no inherent support for this, but one could probably put together a working application scenario ON TOP, using UHD underneath.

Similarly, there's no inherent support for view a collection of USRPs-with-RFNoC as a kind of "radio processing fabric", although one could probably make this work with a lot of custom "stuff" with existing hardware and FPGA infrastructure. There's no existing "just use this API" that enables this mode of operations. I rather suspect that if you want more than one FPGA to be working on a given radio stream, it may not make economic sense to drag an entire USRP (X or N) into it, just for the FPGA resources--you're dragging a lot of other hardware along
  "for the ride".

I'm sure that Martin and others also have opinions on this. This was just my first reaction...