In a packet-switched system, because a whole packet must be buffered before
being passed through the crossbar, your delay is going to be governed by
your packet size and your sample rate. If you are decimating down to a
lower sample rate, you will incur larger delays.

To a first approximation, you can say the delay of a block will be (packet
size / sample rate), plus a bit of overhead. If I understand the Sunderlin
paper correctly, that overhead is what he's measuring.

I am able to get loopback operation in an X310 down to about 26us latency
with several blocks in the loop through careful optimization of packet size
and by keeping the full 200Msps sample rate (even though my application
only requires 30kHz of bandwidth). If you can run your custom block at full
bus speed, that's the best way to ensure low latency. If you require narrow
bandwidths, consider a cascade of FIR filters instead of DDC-[block]-DUC.

Nick