You have two options:

1. Burst both TX and RX. To do that, you call send() on the TX streamer
with the EOB flag set in the metadata, and you use issue_stream_command()
on the RX streamer to request fixed number of samples. In both cases, you
would also provide a timestamp.

2. Permanently RX, and send TX bursts. On the TX side, it's the same as
before. On the RX side, you simply issue stream command (to stream
continuously) and then send bursts. That means your receiver will pick up
TX leakage when you're transmitting, though.

You can see rx_timed_samples and tx_bursts as UHD references.

In GNU Radio, to transmit bursts, you throw down a regular USRP Sink and
attach timestamps. If you look at the OFDM TX examples, they do that.
However, to receive, you will need to write some Python to call
issue_stream_command() on the USRP Source in the same way as explained
before.

-- M