oh wow, that's interesting, though I have little idea how to
reconciliate storage backpressure with dropping out of networking.
My best guess is that the storage system pushing back on too much data
somehow causes additional CPU load (especially: interrupts/context
switches), and that worsens the situation somehow so much that network
stacks get confused.
But that's exactly that: a wild guess in the blue.

Thus: Happy to hear you've got it working!

By the way, what's your kernel's write buffer size? In a pinch, the
following (single line) command should spit out the size in Gigibytes:

echo $(( $(sed -n -e 's/^MemTotal:[[:space:]]*\([[:digit:]]*\).*/\1/p'
/proc/meminfo) * $(sysctl -n vm/dirty_ratio) / 100. / (2**20) ))

If that is less write buffer than you expected, try upping up the
vm.dirty_ratio (i.e. percentage of RAM pages allowed to get filled
before flushing the write cache to disk is enforced and file write
operations become blocking) to something more generous – if your
system's main purpose is to write stuff to disk, and it will still
function well with the remaining 10%, try `sysctl -w vm.dirty_ratio=90`
and see whether that "evens out" the write peaks a bit.

Best regards,
Marcus

http://lists.ettus.com/pipermail/usrp-users_lists.ettus.com/2014-November/039561.html