FWIW, you appear to have responded to a message that hasn't made it to
the list yet.

                                Ned

Short version: this is, in many cases, a Bad Idea.

To the extent email delivery is reliable, it is because of persistence
in relaying traffic.   Many mail user agents are not in a good position
to do that.   It is generally better to submit the message to a service
that is well-connected and well-provisioned for relaying.

Mail submission should be a distinct service from mail relaying, and
done on separate ports so that they're easily distinguishable.
Combining the two services, as was once common, results in more damage
to messages in transit.

I'm sympathetic to the idea that multihop mail relaying produces more
opportunities for surveillance of message content, but the right
solution to that problem is e2e encryption.

As much as I dislike port blocking as any kind of general strategy, I
strongly suspect that port 25 blocking is helpful even if it doesn't
eliminate all spam.   (The spam situation would be even worse without it.)

So I emphatically do not support the proposed changes.

Keith