> On 8 Jan 2021, at 17:38, Viktor Dukhovni <ietf-d...@dukhovni.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 08, 2021 at 11:34:44AM +0100, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>
>> I am working on a project where we issue short term client TLS certs,
>> with just a few days lifespan.
>>
>> I realized that in some protocols, like SIP, MQTT, XMPP, we have quite
>> long lived client connections over connection-oriented protocols.
>> During those connections, a cert may expire.
>>
>> I have looked, but found no advice, on how to handle that situation.
>> If a SIP client authenticates with a client cert that is valid for 42
>> hours more, opens a connection that stays open for a long time,
>> several lifespans…
>>

>> Another situation is that the client cert is valid, but another cert
>> in the trust chain expires.  The intermediate cert or the server cert
>> may expire during the connection lifetime, as an example.
>>
>> What should the server and client do here? I imagine the connection
>> should be closed when the one of the certs in the mutual chain of
>> trust expires.
>
> No in fact in typicall applications, where certificates are *identity*
> certificates, nothing should happen, certainly nothing quite as
> counter-productive as closing the connection.  If the identity was
> valid at the start of the connection, it remains valid even after
> the certificate expires.  Do you delete all old signed mail from
> your mailbox when the S/MIME certificate expires?
>
> Now if the client makes various API requests during the lifetime of the
> connection, and these are subject to entitlement checks, you probably
> want to make sure that stale entitlements are not cached forever.

Ok, so if I understand you right, I should focus on the validity of the cert
for authentication only, not for authorization. If the authorization to perform
certain tasks is withdrawn, a server may close the connection or just decide
to deny any request.

I don’t think that’s very clear in many documents, but let’s aim for making
it clear in the future :-)

> Therefore, with *capability* certs, it may indeed make sense to require
> a new client certificate after the original expires, and if that takes
> a new connection, then so be it.

I am not familiar with those certs, but will investigate :-)

Thank you for your response!

/Olle