> On 12 Jul 2021, at 5:48 pm, Jim Fenton <fen...@bluepopcorn.net> wrote:
>
> Part of my problem is that I don’t know what the boundaries of RFC 6125 are.
> If there’s further validation that happens elsewhere that this depends upon,
> it should be specific about what other RFCs define that validation.

Not everything is covered by RFCs, some decisions are a matter
of local policy, while others are part of de facto application
profiles.

In RFC6125, Appendix B attempted to curate information about
various extant applications.  If some of the affected applications
have since been updated by subsequent RFCs, those might now be in
scope.

The UTA WG may well be a reasonable forum in which to clarify the
expected treatment of wildcards in various applications.

It would be nice to see at least some applications (IMAP? SUBMIT?)
deprecate wildcards.  But if not, otherwise declare wildcards supported
(by clients) but discouraged (best not employed by servers whenever
possible).

--
        Viktor.