On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 07:25:51AM -0400, Chris Lonvick wrote:

> I think that the changes to Sections 4 and 5 should be limited to
> replacing "MUST NOT" with "SHOULD NOT". That will provide clear
> guidance for implementers.
>
> I was then thinking of changing the Security Considerations section to the
> following:
> ---vvv---
> 10.  Security Considerations
>
>    [BCP195] deprecates an insecure DTLS transport protocol from
>    [RFC6012] and deprecates insecure cipher suits from [RFC5425] and
>    [RFC6012].  This document specifies mandatory to implement cipher
>    suites to those RFCs and the latest version of the DTLS protocol to
>    [RFC6012].

The above reads a bit clumsy, perhaps something along the lines of:

    OLD: This document specifies mandatory to implement cipher
         suites to those RFCs and the latest version of the DTLS
         protocol to [RFC6012].

    NEW: This document updates the mandatory to implement cipher
         suites to conform with those RFCs and the latest version
         of the DTLS protocol [RFC6012].

>    The insecure cipher suites SHOULD NOT be offered.  If a device
>    currently only has an insecure cipher suite, an administrator of the
>    network should evaluate the conditions and determine if the insecure
>    cipher suite should be allowed so that syslog messages may continue
>    to be delivered until the device is updated to have a secure cipher
>    suite.
> ---^^^---
>
> Please comment and suggest any further edits for WG review.

Module word-smithing, this is generally acceptable.  Prohibition of the
weaker code points, rather than promotion of their replacements isn't
[RFC7435] my most preferred approach to improving security, but it'll
have to do when consensus that raising the ceiling will suffice is not
within reach.  Thanks for taking my comments into consideration.

--
    Viktor.