So I managed to debug this a bit more and it looks like uWSGI itself is
fine as I can run it directly, but either my nginx or service is causing
the issue.

My service looks like:

[Unit]
Description=uWSGI instance to serve flexlm
After=network.target

[Service]
User=shareef
Group=nginx
WorkingDirectory=/home/shareef/html/flexlm
Environment="PATH=/home/shareef/html/flexlm/venv/bin"
ExecStart=/home/shareef/html/flexlm/venv/bin/uwsgi --ini
/home/shareef/html/flexlm/flexlm.ini

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

and my nginx config looks like:

    server {
      listen 80;
  server_name flexlm.me.com ;

  location / {
  include uwsgi_params ;
uwsgi_pass unix:/home/shareef/html/flexlm/flexlm.sock;
 }
    }