Works for me. Which version of V8 do yo have checked out? What does "which
gyp" say? If you have /usr/bin/gyp or something installed by your distro,
that could interfere; make sure depot_tools is the first thing in your
$PATH.

(Also, has_valgrind.py should exist in gypfiles/, I assume "tools/" was
just a typo:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/v8/v8/+/master/gypfiles/has_valgrind.py)