On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Georgi Sotirov <gdsoti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, sure. We have gcc-4.8 bots on our waterfall and they're happy. Feel
>> free to submit a patch <https://github.com/v8/v8/wiki/Contributing> for
>> gcc-7.1 support :-)
>>

> GCC 4.8 is at least 4 years old and as I see in GitHub V8 is under very
> active development, so strange that only newer GCC versions are not
> considered...

GCC 4.8 is what ships in Ubuntu Trusty, which is still our main development
platform. Usually ensuring that older toolchains are still supported is
more difficult (and hence more important) than supporting newer toolchains.
Most people build with the bundled clang; GCC support is mostly community
driven at this point. The fact that it has been broken for a while until
you found it tells you how few people care about it...

> A patch commenting out the offending function? OK, I could submit such
> patch, but I'm not sure this is the right solution and I do not know V8's
> source at all to make a real fix.

Unused functions, especially in tests, can just be deleted. (No point in
commenting out code that doesn't work, just drop it.)

> When I asked about version, I did mean version, not cloning instructions.
>> "fetch v8" gives you a different thing every day, because V8 is under
>> active development. (You can "git pull && gclient sync" to stay up to date
>> after the initial "fetch v8".)
>>

> Yes, I got you point, but I find V8 version numbering as confusing as the
> official documentation and the procedure
> <https://gist.github.com/leobalter/aa8953b9a317e2ae9696#file-v8-md> I
> referred was the only one working for me so far. And I pretty much
> understand what cloning means, so at least it's clear the problem is in the
> most recent source. However, I'm just trying to build V8 library without
> having to read tons of documentation and learning new tools (mostly used
> internally in Google as it seems), because V8 is not my primary development
> interest, but just a dependency I need to satisfy.

I wasn't asking you to learn any new tool or understand V8 version
numbering. I was just saying: next time you report a problem, please
indicate the version you were using. The git hash of your most recent
commit is perfectly fine for that.

> Anyway, now that I was able to build V8 with the help of the people from
> this group (including you) how could I install it? There is no "make
> install":
>
> $ make install
> $ make: *** No rule to make target 'install'.  Stop.

Indeed, there is no "make install". V8 is designed to be embedded/bundled;
installing it as a system library does not make much sense.