On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 4:07 PM, Hanyun Tao <taohany...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jakob!
>
> I'm reading the Invoke(..) function you mentioned, and I believe the
> following part of the code plays an important role in executing the
> JavaScript but I cannot fully understand it.
>
>   typedef Object* (*JSEntryFunction)(Object* new_target, Object* target,
>                                      Object* receiver, int argc,
>                                      Object*** args);
>

>   Handle<Code> code = is_construct
>       ? isolate->factory()->js_construct_entry_code()
>       : isolate->factory()->js_entry_code();
>

>   {
>     // Save and restore context around invocation and block the
>     // allocation of handles without explicit handle scopes.
>     SaveContext save(isolate);
>     SealHandleScope shs(isolate);
>     JSEntryFunction stub_entry = FUNCTION_CAST<JSEntryFunction>(code->
> entry());
>

>     if (FLAG_clear_exceptions_on_js_entry) isolate->clear_pending_
> exception();
>

>     // Call the function through the right JS entry stub.
>     Object* orig_func = *new_target;
>     Object* func = *target;
>     Object* recv = *receiver;
>     Object*** argv = reinterpret_cast<Object***>(args);
>     if (FLAG_profile_deserialization && target->IsJSFunction()) {
>       PrintDeserializedCodeInfo(Handle<JSFunction>::cast(target));
>     }
>     RuntimeCallTimerScope timer(isolate, &RuntimeCallStats::JS_Execution);
>     value = CALL_GENERATED_CODE(isolate, stub_entry, orig_func, func, recv
> ,
>                                 argc, argv);
>   }
>

> I could not find some good document to help me understand those data
> structures especially JSEntryFunction ,and Handle<Code>.  It would be
> really helpful if you can give me some document that talks about the
> definition of V8's basic data structures like Code.

Code:
https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/v8/src/objects.h?type=cs&q=class+code&sq=package:chromium&l=3646
(as the name suggests, it's the kind of object V8 uses to store generated
code)
Handle:
https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/v8/src/handles.h?type=cs&q=class+Handle&sq=package:chromium&l=92
(a GC safe pointer to a HeapObject)

Look around the code for more! :-)

For the functionality of the above code, here is my understanding (guess).

> The first part of the code defines a special type of object named
> JSEntryFunction.

That's a C++ typedef defining a particular (C++) function signature.

The next part of the code tries to obtain the executable code by calling
> isolate->factory()->js_entry_code();  , which might be the part that
> triggers the (re-)compilation or finds the existing compiled code.

No, it's the "stub" that handles calling into generated code. The function
being called is target, and as you can see, it is passed as an argument to
the call.
"Invoke" does not deal with compilation. As I wrote before:

> a v8::internal::JSFunction has a code() property. That's either the
> existing compiled code, or a stub that will trigger (re-)compilation based
> on the script() in the JSFunction's shared_function_info(). It will be
> retrieved and called by the JSEntryStub.

You've identified the place where the JSEntryStub is called. That stub will
look up the function's stored code and call it. This "code" could be
another stub that triggers compilation if needed.

The reset of the code executes the generated code.