On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 5:55 PM, Benjamin Pasero
<benjamin.pas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering what the performance impact would be if I would change
> Error.stackTraceLimit [1] to a high value (e.g. 1000?). The default of just
> 10 stack frames is little when the error bubbles through a long chain of
> promises for example.
>
> This change would be in production code, not just for testing, so I am a
> little bit nervous of the consequences this would have.
>
> Maybe someone can share some experiences with changing this value.
>
> Ben
>
> [1] https://github.com/v8/v8/wiki/Stack-Trace-API

Stack traces are built by storing back-references to the JS functions
on the stack.  The human-readable stack trace is computed lazily.  The
longer the stack trace, the bigger the chance you retain code objects
beyond their natural lifetime (i.e., introduce memory leaks) but that
might be offset by the observation that the bottom of the stack is
often invariant.

You'll also pay a little in CPU time in the stack frame walker but
that's probably tolerable.  I assume you're asking this in the context
of VS Code where human perception is the important factor.