`longString[1]` is loop-independent and can hence be hoisted out of the
loop. `longString[i]` actually has to be loaded from memory in each
iteration.

(I haven't spent the time to check whether that's really what's happening.
Using `--print-opt-code`, or `--trace-turbo` and Turbolizer, you can check
on your own.)