At 11:46 AM 3/22/01 -0800, Kimm Flatt wrote:
<<..>>
 >FRAME:  Replace the frame with Titanium.  Very strong, extremely light
 >weight. (You'll need to run your drills slower, because of excess heat.)

         I was (am) under the impression that Airstream frames were built
of a stronger steel that most SOBs- I know that drilling my old '75 frame
was quite a chore, whereas normal trailers drill fairly easily.
         IMHO- one of the best frames being built today is the Al-Ko frame,
they have a website http://www.al-ko.com  but it seems to be down at the
moment. This is a galvanized frame with holes cut into the web (thanks, Dr.
J), and seems to have a high strength to weight ratio- mI have a hunch that
Wally would be using something like this (if not more advance) today.

 >FLOOR:  Boeing 777 floors are a carbon fiber top/bottom with an aluminum
 >honey comb inside.  A 4x8 sheet is only $800. but it is SO SO light, and
 >virtually unbreakable.

         A couple of years ago, Shadow Cruise bought a patent for a
composite carbon fiber construction method for building TTs- but shortly
after that, they went bankrupt. I never did get any specifics about the
technique, but it sounded fascinating.

________

         Chris Bryant
         Bryant RV Services
         DeLand, Florida
         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe or to change to a daily Digest, please go to
http://www.airstream.net/vaclist/listoffice.html

If replying back to this message, please delete all the unnecessary original
text from your reply.