Weird. I'm sure I had it working a few days ago but now I'm getting exactly
the same error.

* setting SSL_CERT_FILE does not help
* neither does replacing /opt/vagrant/embedded/cacert.pem

Might be something wrong with my current setup here, as I'm sure it did
work that way.

Anyway, here is the related Github issue:
https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant/issues/5001

You might want to comment there as well

Cheers,
Torben