Hey Tobias,

I guess you are running into this:
https://github.com/chef/chef/pull/3126

Tl;dr: the Chef gem from 11.18.x onwards to 12.2.x requires elevated
privileges to succeed.

The above PR has been merged and should be released with the first 12.3.x
release.

Not sure why it worked on your other Win 8.1 machine. Other account with
more privileges?

You could try installing the plugin in an elevated cmd shell, but this
might have other side effects as well...

HTH, Torben