Thanks Alvaro for your answer.

I have succeeded to set a machinefolder using the following command:
> VBoxManage setproperty machinefolder "/home/jenkins/vbox/"

This modifies the .config/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml to contain:
>     <SystemProperties defaultMachineFolder="/home/jenkins/vbox/"
defaultHardDiskFormat="VDI" VRDEAuthLibrary="VBoxAuth"
webServiceAuthLibrary="VBoxAuth" LogHistoryCount="3"
exclusiveHwVirt="true"/>

I could run the setproperty command before each job uses "kitchen
test" command and specify a per job directory.

I am not sure to understand however how this will solve the issue I
encounter (which I am not sure to understand by the way).
I understand that each new box launched by kitchen will be run in a
folder that will (hopefully) be its job directory.
Since the setproperty seems to act at the user level, there could be a
race conditions if a job B set the machinefolder property after job A
sets his but before job A start the box.
This is unlikely if jobs have only one box to launch but our kitchen
tests usually launch several of them sequentially.

My manual tests so far show that vbox can starts and destroy boxses
even if machinefolder have changed since creation.

Can you help to understand if it will help to solve my issue ?

Thanks again for the time you spend to help me
--
Gregoire

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/b9306f7b-4c84-4d68-b28f-cdea9ee4ff51%40googlegroups.com.