Actually, using type: "vmware_desktop" or "vmware_fusion" results in:

/opt/vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.8.5/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/mixin_synced_folders.rb:137:in

`block in synced_folders': Internal error. Report this as a bug. Invalid:
vmware_desktop (RuntimeError)

which is the same message as when specifying random text for the type, so I
believe vmware is the correct value. I'm not sure why it doesn't work
though. Here is my Vagrantfile:

Vagrant.configure("2") do |config|
  config.vm.box = "centos/7"

  # Disable the default rsync sync method:
  config.vm.synced_folder "./", "/vagrant", id: "vagrant-root", disabled:
true
  # This just enables the folder using rsync again:
  config.vm.synced_folder "./", "/vagrant"

  # This (exporting a different location in the guest) syncs the folder
using VMware:
  config.vm.synced_folder "./", "/vagrant2"

  config.ssh.insert_key = false
end

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/15f08708-cbc0-49b5-be8c-1276e4f66025%40googlegroups.com.