Hi Alvaro,

I am very grateful for your efforts to help me understand what is going on.

It seems that I have followed all the steps you describe, and yet I am
still asked for a password when I run `vagrant ssh` on the new box (the one
created from the package). I'm using ubuntu/xenial64
<https://app.vagrantup.com/ubuntu/boxes/xenial64>.

When I look in ~/.vagrant.d/boxes/, I find two directories:
ubuntu-VAGRANTSLASH-xenial64 and custom (which contains my package). The
most obvious difference between these two directories as that there are two
extra items in the custom folder:

   - A file named vagrant_private_key
   - Afolder named include which contains a file named _Vagrantfile

This _Vagrantfile contains the following text:

# Front load the includes
include_vagrantfile = File.expand_path("../include/_Vagrantfile", __FILE__)
load include_vagrantfile if File.exist?(include_vagrantfile)

Vagrant.configure("2") do |config|
  config.vm.base_mac = "022185D04910"
  *config.ssh.username = "ubuntu"*
*  config.ssh.password = "27f8dbe40a2e195f6bd6434a"*

  config.vm.provider "virtualbox" do |vb|
     vb.customize [ "modifyvm", :id, "--uart1", "0x3F8", "4" ]
     vb.customize [ "modifyvm", :id, "--uartmode1", "file",
File.join(Dir.pwd, "ubuntu-xenial-16.04-cloudimg-console.log") ]
  end
end

>From your explanations, I understand the ubuntu/xenial64 box contains a
default username and password pair, that the config.ssh.insert_key = false
directive in the Vagrantfile for the intermediate box should prevent the
package from creating its own key, so that the default username and
password pair from the ubuntu/xenial64 box is used instead. But if my
understanding is correct then there should be no vagrant_private_key in the
custom directory.

I have provided a detailed description of all the steps that I am taking
here
<https://www.evernote.com/shard/s175/sh/404e9e81-2858-4c0b-821f-3588cde5a556/6c59e2415223c01b074127ecd27d3d74>
.

I would appreciate it if your could show me where my logic is faulty.

Thanks in advance,

James

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/cae31d71-d8db-45c5-810a-863e448c4e51%40googlegroups.com.