Interesting solution

'vagrant ssh -- pwd' works!

-- is used in unix to pass options to the program next 'down the line'
which is the standard unix ssh on the host.

I do not understand why -c or --command does not work as documented but I
don't want to spend today reading ruby :)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/e136850e-8bfe-4828-ba3b-fe906f628718%40googlegroups.com.