Alvaro, Robert:

I think I've tracked down the culprit. The non-vagrant virtualboxes were
running at the time of the power down/reboot and survived with no problem -
digging further in to this is what revealed the issue:

I start all my vagrant machines with a command line emulator called Cmder
and rarely pay attention to the VirtualBox Manager GUI.

While doing some more debugging today I noticed that my non-vagrants were
always present in the VirtualBox Manager GUI but the vagrant machines only
sporadically showed up (and always showed as being powered off, even if
running).

I remembered I had set the Cmder emulator to run as administrator (for an
unrelated reason, nothing to do with vagrant or this issue). As soon as I
ran the emulator with normal privs and issued `vagrant up` the vagrant
machines started surviving reboots with no issue.

So I guess virtualbox and/or vagrant don't like communicating with each
other if running under different user contexts. I don't think that's a bug
(more like an implementation limitation/constraint) so, for me at least,
the issue is marked 'solved' :)

Charlie

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/831f9c40-ba2a-4de3-9555-88eba86e51e6%40googlegroups.com.