So I followed the guide on https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/other/wsl.html
which seems fairly straight forward.
I'm using Virtualbox on the Windows Host. I've got Vagrant 2.1.5 installed
both in the WSL Debian environment as well as the Windows environment.
I've exported VAGRANT_WSL_ENABLE_WINDOWS_ACCESS="1" in the Linux env and
made sure that VBoxManage.exe is in the PATH of that environment as well.

Vagrant in Windows works as one would expect. Executing Vagrant on Linux
doesn't find the VBoxManage.exe executable, even though it's in the path.

In WSL I'm using /c/Users/lukas as my home directory, so that I have a
shared Linux/Windows home dir. I have metadata turned on and root = / in
/etc/wsl.conf (which is why the path is /c/ instead of the /mnt/c/ default)
so that Linux permissions are carried over to the NTFS filesystem.

In ~/test/ (which is /c/Users/lukas/test/ or C:\Users\lukas\test) I have a
default Vagrantfile with a centos/7 box.

VBoxManage.exe is in my PATH:

lukas@bigmac:~/test$ which VBoxManage.exe
/c/Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox/VBoxManage.exe

However vagrant up will result in

lukas@bigmac:~/test$ vagrant up
No usable default provider could be found for your system.

Vagrant relies on interactions with 3rd party systems, known as
"providers", to provide Vagrant with resources to run development
environments. Examples are VirtualBox, VMware, Hyper-V.

The easiest solution to this message is to install VirtualBox, which
is available for free on all major platforms.

If you believe you already have a provider available, make sure it
is properly installed and configured. You can see more details about
why a particular provider isn't working by forcing usage with
`vagrant up --provider=PROVIDER`, which should give you a more specific
error message for that particular provider.

I can however use vagrant.exe up and it'll work just fine

lukas@bigmac:~/test$ vagrant.exe up
Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Importing base box 'centos/7'...
==> default: Matching MAC address for NAT networking...
==> default: Checking if box 'centos/7' is up to date...
==> default: Setting the name of the VM: test_default_1539801180834_58779
==> default: Clearing any previously set network interfaces...
==> default: Preparing network interfaces based on configuration...
    default: Adapter 1: nat
==> default: Forwarding ports...
    default: 22 (guest) => 2222 (host) (adapter 1)
==> default: Booting VM...
==> default: Waiting for machine to boot. This may take a few minutes...
    default: SSH address: 127.0.0.1:2222
    default: SSH username: vagrant
    default: SSH auth method: private key
    default:
    default: Vagrant insecure key detected. Vagrant will automatically
replace
    default: this with a newly generated keypair for better security.
    default:
    default: Inserting generated public key within guest...
    default: Removing insecure key from the guest if it's present...
    default: Key inserted! Disconnecting and reconnecting using new SSH
key...
==> default: Machine booted and ready!
==> default: Checking for guest additions in VM...
    default: No guest additions were detected on the base box for this VM!
Guest
    default: additions are required for forwarded ports, shared folders,
host only
    default: networking, and more. If SSH fails on this machine, please
install
    default: the guest additions and repackage the box to continue.
    default:
    default: This is not an error message; everything may continue to work
properly,
    default: in which case you may ignore this message.
==> default: Rsyncing folder: /cygdrive/c/Users/lukas/test/ => /vagrant
lukas@bigmac:~/test$

However using vagrant.exe instead of the Linux vagrant binary obviously
means that the permissions for the ssh key are Windows defaults i.e. world
readable.

Any idea what else I'd have to change other than setting that
VAGRANT_WSL_ENABLE_WINDOWS_ACCESS environment variable to make Linux
Vagrant detect VBoxManage.exe from the Windows environment?

Thanks,
-- Lukas

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/8c42e4a0-1c5e-4e81-9bcf-d349dcbeb338%40googlegroups.com.