Thanks - the CLI indicated I had to have a name when when I used the
command you provided below:

$ vagrant box add https://xxx.xxx.xxx/CSIDev/centos.json
<https://ctmcsi.wellsfargo.com/CSIDev/centos.json>
==> box: Box file was not detected as metadata. Adding it directly...
A name is required when adding a box file directly. Please pass
the `--name` parameter to `vagrant box add`. See
`vagrant box add -h` for more help.

So I simply added one with the --name switch:

vagrant box add https://xxx.xxx.xxx/CSIDev/centos.json
<https://ctmcsi.wellsfargo.com/CSIDev/centos.json> --name test

and that leaves me right where I started from:

OpenSSL SSL_connect: SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL in connection to
xxxxx.xxxxxxx.com:443
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fxxxxx.xxxxxxx.com%3A443&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNH-gtiuwL-gkwlSlngPs-XO7sRvsA>

Thanks!   I'll send that email now....

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/8177b4e1-3c0b-494d-96bc-a06ce5cd1d47%40googlegroups.com.