Hello there,

I'm new to this group, and I've being using Vagrant for a while now, always
with Virtualbox.

Yesterday I decided to have two VM's talking to each other through a
host-only network. Since I couldn't find proper documentation about it
(https://www.vagrantup.com/docs/virtualbox/networking.html), I went through
Google results and found them quite confusing, specially this Github issue
below:

https://github.com/hashicorp/vagrant/issues/281

Trying that configuration just generate errors stating that ":hostonly" was
not a valid option.

After doing more research, I end up with this configuration:

config.vm.network "private_network", type: "dhcp"

Which seems it would work if not just create a new host-only interface
instead using the already available one!

In this lab, I was trying to make a already existing VM (not created with
Vagrant) to be in the same host-only network with the Vagrant one. I ended
up shutting down the Vagrant managed VM and changing it's configuration
manually, which is a workaround at best.

What I'm missing over here? I found a bit confusing have to define a
"private network" when I want to use a "hostonly" with Virtualbox (I know,
Vagrant is suppose to use support several different virtualization
products, but there is nothing wrong in providing a product specific
configuration in the Vagrantfile too).

Thanks!

Alceu

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vagrant-up/c4b2848c-f4b2-4018-99b5-61f8a91e5a43%40googlegroups.com.