Greetings List Lurkers,

The good news is that we shall once again be meeting today between 5 and 7 PM in Room 1 in the basement of Heading United Methodist church, 40 Washington Street.

The really good news is that I finally got deep enough into g-code that I was able to machine out metal squares on the CNC system (till I broke a bit). I can see that for simple projects, the Visual Bash Framework might need to be expanded...

The less good news is that for the next two meetings, Flint goes west with the wind... As I mentioned, I will be presenting on the subject of Visual Bash at the IBM SHARE Conference at the Sacramento Civic Center. Again, I often wonder if there is anyone in Vermont interested in hearing or learning about Visual Bash, as I find it a very reasonable language to write stuff in.

I have been preparing to travel, shipping stuff to Sacramento, (quite the expense..), so I have had little chance to work on the "Block Chain Tic-Tac-toe" (bcttt.sh) Visual Bash project.
If you are interested in the current progress, please see:

(http://docbox.flint.com:8081/blockchain#tttVB)

The actual code is here:

http://docbox.flint.com:8081/blockchain#bcttt.sh

A downloader for the code is this:

wget "http://docbox.flint.com/~flint/bin/mdft.sh";  ;
chmod +x mdft.sh; ./mdft.sh

This downloader is based upon an idea from Marco the Marvelous Minion, and is in the middle of being expanded... Why not simply link tiddle space to git space?

I would really like to spend a significant portion of our meeting getting everyone psyched for two weeks of no Flint.

So, the short answer is that we are still here and the meeting will take place today at 17:00.

I remain fascinated by what is going on with Big Blue Button (http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tada#BigBlueButton) which we need to delve into! The problem here seems to be the Cosmic Law that you *do not fix that which is not broken*, and sadly enough, Google Plus is not broken.

That said the idea that Kevin Cole came up with, a dedicated rasberry pi based conferencing station. Is a goal we should consider in the long term. What a cool idea!

That said, we seem to have the most traction on Google Hangouts...

Our standard topics which remain:

- Open Source Educational Human Development
  I am changing the priority
  of our eternal needs, and placing education first, as manifest in a
  Barre Brain Barn.
- Maker Movement A Maker Space in Barre?  Why not? We clearly have a
  Maker Faire profile.  Could it be that the commercial power centers
  are beginning to appreciate the value of the maker movement.
  See http://bbbvt.org/
  Here are the city and statewide plans:
  http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb
  who has good ideas about a Barre Maker Space.  Why not do digital
  stone soup?
- Move BOSI towards reStructuredText. I am seriously researching a
  tiddly2rest converter.  This would allow us to become more git
  centric... avoid the need to change to gittlywiki...
  We still need to convert... Yea buddy...  Shut up Effin.
- Blue Sky R&D, but in Vermont it will be Gun-metal Grey Sky(c) R&D
  (GMGSR&D).
- I fought the DREK and the DREK continues to win.  Remember, What
  really is holds us back is DREK!!!  DREK is what happens to your
  workspace (both hardware and  software) when you fail to put stuff
  away, or you let your friends or relatives use it.  This is a cosmic
  law.  While having #1Son around helped, I am still fighting DREK.
  How to get over it?  The secret may be empty pellet bags.
  TechnoRubble is hereby defined as organized DREK.  DREK is
  just what you get prior to something becoming TechnoRubble.
  Just to let you know I am desperately trying to turn DREK into
  TechnoRubble.  The ultimate goal being the development and
  implementation of the TechnoRubble Taxonomy.

On this last area here at Casa Flint Labs, we have made progress, as the DREK is in remission.

These five points are quickly becoming more than our policy, and more like a prayer...

Anyway, we have the technology and we will have Pizza tonight 5-7 at Hedding UMC. Accept no substitutes... For those coming in via voice or the Internet, so not forget this information:

For more information try:
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tada

...and we hope that there are folks who are gonna try, the swim "tada" starts at 6:00 PM EST.

Our ongoing major objective is to continue to try to figure out how to invest the time and resources to turn the Barre Open Systems Institute into more than just the Adult Swim technical clinic and more into a real learning facility, and figure out where our good chairs went. One direction we have been working on is to begin thinking about classes. The curriculum that I am most interested in is teaching documentation.

The goal of the meeting shall be unusual, as it will be more about planning and vision and less about how to get organized and try to get the various projects moving forward, despite DREK. We continue to wonder about how to build the BOSI curriculum to this web page:

http://bosivt.org, works, and has just been updated.

Remember, the BOSI Adult Swim is essentially about helping out fellow users of open source products in a clinic environment. Despite my very best of intentions, the Adult Swim is really almost a perpetual Linux install-fest, and only secondarily a learning environment.

The ever growing list of projects (now on our web site :^) includes the following with no particular organization or accuracy:

http://www.bosivt.org
http://bosivt.org, works, and has just been updates see javascript link to
http://family.flint.com/flint
https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/flint.com/tada
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry#MinecraftRaspberryPi Pi Minecraft, cool. http://www.lakecraft.net/ This is the site we want to get Pi Minecraft working with.
http://bbbvt.org/  Barre Brain Barn.
http://ledroid.org Ok, this is a real project eh?
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/travel#VTMakerConf2017
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/technorubble#TechnoRubbleTaxonomy
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry#PiRFID
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/trantor
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/blockchain#blockchainttt
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/vm A Docker copy of VM370
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/kindle The Kindle Liberation Front
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/pyrs A pythonic interface to Income Tax?
http://bzinga.net What happens when you combine Bash and Zenity?
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/nodejs ok, it is on the list.
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/snobot jesum they love this robot
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/furmon monitor that pellet furnace
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/arduino moving in the arduino groove
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/javajive to get better at Javascript
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/tsp  Temperature Sensors Project
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/robotsrules The quest for Roberts Rules -
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/visual.bash Yea, I am not kidding...
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/mrtg remedial raw mrtg for the slow...
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/raspberry all versions
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/strembot.org maybe a very cool project.
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/organized oh please let me be organized!
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/music this may be the least organized
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/bb A big noble idea.
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/grantbot A less noble idea to feed the
http://docbox.flint.com:8081/gitlywiki is tiddlywiki5 the answer?
http://docbox.flint.com:8080/bosivt.org/directions or, go to http://bosivt.org

This list has been updated... Next we shoot for accuracy!

Otherwise, Barre indeed remains a great venue for a Linux and Open Source Software discussion and general system rejuvenation. Expect to be remotely preached at on the various topics of Open Source and how I am confident it shall cure all the evils and ills of this wicked world. In a perfect meeting, people would come in, sit down, see the stuff we have been doing and hopefully help us get the DIY stuff we are doing done, or maybe just fix a laptop.

So, do not forget that the Aldrich Barre library stocks "Linux Format", and the latest issue is on the shelf, and it is good. The DVD's are available to checkout and copy, we shall to continue provide copies and isos of each and every one. I am continuing to duplicate about a years worth of DVD's which is quite a task. You may want to watch this space for developments.

Anyway, come and do open source stuff. For more information about the BOSI Adult Swim meeting time and location try this:

Directions to the Adult Swim:
http://docbox.flint.com:8080/bosivt.org/directions or, go to http://bosivt.org and click on directions.

Show up at Hedding UMC if you have questions or are interested in Linux or the concept of free and open systems. Again, we are in the basement of the Hedding UMC facility which we like pretty well.

If you wish to be included on the "Linux_adult_swim" mailing list, send a
response to this note, or contact me.

I expect to be chastised eagle-eyed Dr. Mark, or god forbid, Effin as Dr. Mark remains our Honorary Editor.

Kindest Regards,

Paul Flint
(802) 479-2360
(802) 595-9365 Cell

/************************************
Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgment in response to this note.

Paul Flint
Barre Open Systems Institute
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT