On Fri, 2013-11-22 at 07:58 +0100, Jürg Billeter wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> On Thu, 2013-11-21 at 00:06 -0008, Jim Nelson wrote:
> > My broad point is, dot releases for stable versions of Vala can cause
> > large changes downstream. In the future, could these changes be more
> > geared toward critical fixes?
>
> Yes, we're aware of that and we are typically more careful in stable
> branches. The 0.22 branch was branched from master later than usual and
> the changes you've mentioned above were pushed to master between 0.22.0
> and the branch point. As we usually branch early, the committers likely
> didn't realize that these changes would affect a stable branch.

Just one thing to remember, for future reference: git can create a
branch starting at any point in history directly. For example,

$ git branch 0.22 0.22.0
$ git checkout 0.22

(or equivalently, but shorter)
$ git checkout -b 0.22 0.22.0

would have created a new branch "0.22" which branches off from the
commit that was tagged with the "0.22.0" version, and won't include any
of the commits to master which were intended for 0.23.

--
Calvin Walton <calvin.wal...@kepstin.ca>