Hi,

On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 21:35 +0200, Hans Vercammen wrote:
> I have been toying a bit with the new gobject-introspection module at
> gnome-svn and some things caught my attention. It seems that the glib
> library is divided into different namespaces according to the glib
> modules, which follows more or less the python bindings. Assuming that
> at some point in the future the vapi files for glib and others will be
> auto-generated from or replaced by the gir and typelibs, it will cause
> some inconsistencies, because on vala level everything is pulled from
> the GLib namespace.
> Being a bit curious in the future directions of vala, I was wondering
> how the vala-devs see this. I guess that if we want to benefit from the
> full potential of introspection and it's typelibs, these namespaces
> should be in sync.

The plan for gobject-introspection is to have two names per gir file,
one is a unique module name, which can be used e.g. in Python, and the
other is a namespace that doesn't have to be unique.

The gir module name will be determined from the --pkg option of valac
and the namespace will be used in Vala code. The namespaces are not
expected to change when switching to gir in Vala.

Jürg