On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 10:03 +0100, Jürg Billeter wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 00:13 -0500, Yu Feng wrote:
> > Both vala 0.5.1 and trunk fails to smoothly switching the parent
> > classes. if I have extra stuff in the creation methods.
>
> Do you have an example or bugzilla link?

I was experiencing the problem with that piece of DOM project. this is
an abridged version:

class AAA: Object {

    public AAA() {
        int i = 10;
    }
}
class BBB: AAA {

    public int j {get; construct;}
    public BBB() {
        base();
        j = 100;
    }
}

> > > I don't think you should mix the two construction schemes to much as
> > > they are essentially incompatible. GObject basically doesn't support
> > > custom constructor chaining interference, so if vala wants to support
> > > this (and by doing so breaking the GObject way a bit), why keep the
> > > property assignment limitation?
> >
> > Why are they essentially incompatible? As far as I know the construct
> > blocks corresponds to Klass->constructor, and they are automatically
> > chained up.
> >
> > If you mean chaining up the CreationMethods, I still can't see any
> > incompatibilities.
>
> The construct blocks are not incompatible with chaining up
> CreationMethods, however, construct properties are. Assignment to a
> construct property in a CreationMethod makes chaining up impossible in
> the current implementation.

Right. The construct properties were killing the CG. No way to solve the
issue completely unless we can collect all the values of the construct
properties.

Yu