On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 14:24 +0200, Jiří Zárevúcky wrote:
> 2009/6/27 Yu Feng <rainwood...@gmail.com>:
> > On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 08:03 +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> >>
> >>      4. Port Tomboy as a show-case project port
> >>

> > 4 seems to be very fun; how large is the codebase of tomboy?
> >
> > BTW: What is the largest show-case project driven by VALA, excluding
> > vala itself? Here I am not limiting within project ported from mono.
> >

> I'm not sure any "show-case port" is a good idea. The differences and
> comparison can be written down in a single document. Regardless
> the potential advantages of two directly comparable
> project, imagine what would it cause in a larger scale. gnote is
> already seen as a "good" counterpart to an "evil" project in the eyes
> of almost religionistic mono-haters and it is a denial of Tomboy's
> actual achievement. Imagine that someone would copy your original cool
> project just because he doesn't like the language. I'm sure it would
> make you angry.
>
> If some of the Vala community try to make it some kind of
> "replacement" to Mono platform (which itself is a stupid idea) the
> earlier noted group would immediately make it to be some kind of
> "saviour that shall release us from the hands of all evil (Mono,
> Microsoft, Novell)". That could possibly result in a complete
> alienation of Vala and Mono communities.
>
> Vala must by no means accept any role in the "struggle" (more like a
> series of irrational personal insults in my opinion) that is taking
> place between the Mono community and those who are not willing to
> accept their freedom of choice. It would only hurt the project.
>
> Well, so much for my opinions on this matter.

I agree with you. Porting for the porting's sake is nothing but harmful.

Nonetheless I still think if VALA needs bigger, live projects to
increase the level awareness which it deserves. At least among the
open-source vala projects tracked by ohloh, I don't see any of them a
critical application(by critical I mean a real develop team, active
development and large codebase). I don't think this situation is healthy
for the language's eco-system.

I would like to do a survey/study about the situation. How do you think?

Regards,

Yu