On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 09:31:07AM +0100, Luca Bruno wrote:
> On 27/10/2014 09:08, Patrick Welche wrote:
> > I'm new to vala and am wondering what compatibility between versions is
> > like, e.g., should I expect to be able to use a recent 0.26.1 compiler
> > to compile code from the days of 0.12?
> You must expect every new stable release to be incompatible with the
> previous. Either because of a compiler change, or because of bindings
> breakage. That said, it's not that we break at every new stable release,
> only when we feel it's best to break instead of keeping old obsolete things.

Do you have a rule of thumb on how likely a breakage is / what to look
for in NEWS?

If a package, rather than testing for features (what are the sort of
features one could test for in vala?), feeds e.g., vala>= 0.20 to
pkg_check_modules, then one has to keep a copy of vala-0.20 around,
and so on for all the various vala using packages?

Yet a single glib and a single copy of gcc will do for other packages?

I hope I am misunderstanding...

Cheers,

Patrick