Is there somewhere a documentation for GXml? I tried to compile it
myself but i am stuck with an error "failed to load driver". I tried
the examples provided by GXml but they are outdated.

new Document.from_gfile(f, can)
should be
Document.new_default_for_file(f);

and doc.to_string(true, 8)
should be
doc.to_string();

I was irritated by the Nodes "#text" without a value - is there a
reason they exists?