Hello

We strictly separate Web backends from the layer that does actual audio
processing so where we need http we use elixir, and where we need GStreamer
we use Vala. Communication between these layers used to be http (that's
the  point where I was considering valum) but was recently replaced by
binary protocols.

The case in broadcasting is also being reliable, being fast is cool but
it's secondary. In such case it's hard to compete with erlang VM. Any C app
can probably segfault, erlang will never do. Needless to mention builtin
fail over mechanisms.

But don't worry, there will be applications for valum for sure, we are
going to make devices where we will use internal APIs and they may be based
on valum.

M.
16.06.2016 5:30 PM "Guillaume Poirier-Morency" <
guillaumepoiriermore...@gmail.com> napisał(a):

Le jeudi 16 juin 2016 à 15:54 +0200, mar...@saepia.net a écrit :
> Valum is awesome, and I was considering it for a while but we have
> decided to use Elixir/Phoenix for our web backends (for obvious
> reasons if you are designing a soft-realtime software).

Phoenix looks really nice and complete. However, something more GLib-
based would be easier to integrate with a GStreamer audio stack I
guess.

Valum still need some work, but it's already usable and very fast. I
will probably release the 0.3 by the end of the summer.

I'm also implementing the SAGA specification https://en.wikipedia.org/w
iki/Simple_API_for_Grid_Applications if you ever need to distribute
some computation. I'm starting with the job API and a TORQUE backend
for my project.