I finally figured this out, though I don't understand why what I did works.

I changed the signal connection to use a non-existent variable named msg.

         Logging.get_default ().publish.connect ((msg) => {

            this.log (msg) ;

         }) ;

Can anyone explain why doing that lets me use my new LogMsg object with my
Logger class' signal??

Steven N. Oliver