Von: bernhard.guil...@begu.org
Gesendet: 09.10.2018 22:36
An: <vala-list@gnome.org>
Betreff: Re: [Vala] C# Developer
Hi all,
I am not sure which part of the thread to misuse but maybe we would be good to
use something like bountysource or kickstarter to add feature wishes.

In my opinion the best way for now is to forget about performance and go the
language server way. Manly because every IDE can share the code with it. Of
course it is not perfect and of course some things will still be missing. But
the good thing about using language server is that it is IDE independent and
even language independent. Most IDE and editors nowadays support language
servers. And will continue to support them. A perfect IDE is just so far away
that anything which will stay longer will be a good start. The language server
can be extended for things which are not in the specification. But currently
there is no Vala IDE which is anywhere near at the full feature set of the
server specification. A specific IDE might die but I don't think that editors
and IDE will stop to support the language server support in the future.

After we are at the point that the compiler is the main problem as Christian
Hergert pointed out later in this thread. We can add bounties to enhance the
compiler part. But for now I don't know any IDE for which this is the
bottleneck?

So there are two servers right now that I know of:

https://github.com/benwaffle/vala-language-server

https://github.com/davidmhewitt/vala-language-server

But both are not easy to use right now. So in my opinion we should look at both
of them and decide which one we want to support. Add bounties for different
features and try to convince people and companies using Vala to pay a bit of
money to get feature sets done.

benwaffle seams to be on this list so what do you think about it? I am not sure
about davidmhewitt but I think he is on the elementary team which uses
bountysources already?

Nice pro and cons for language-servers are listed at this blog post [1] from a
gsoc attempt to add Rust support to Kdevelop.

Tarnyko pointed out that he might be willing to get paid to enhance Val(a)IDE.
This is also a possible route.

Gnome builder crashes a lot on my system and I cannot get used to the way it
works, most of the time it is not helping me but is in my way. Mainly because
it does quite every thing exactly the other way around that I would do it. But
the builder has also one of the best IDE support for Vala! So it might also be
a good route.

What do you think which route we should follow?

We are a small community and it would be nice to bundle the efforts to get a
nice IDE support :)

What the language server also not defines is how to get debugging support :/ So
this part is IDE/editor dependent. Maybe we can define some API or wrapper for
how to call gdb from any IDE to fully support Vala? Next big thing would be to
target embedded systems for which I use Vala most. No IDE that I know of has
some run on target and debug that damn thing built in. I mostly use the command
line for this.

My workflow for now is vscode + vala syntax highlight + valadoc + ack + command
line + meson + gdb. I know all the tools well so I don't really miss an IDE but
I would like to help to get it started.

Regards,
Bernhard

1 https://perplexinglyemma.blogspot.com/2017/06/language-servers-and-ides.html