As Julian mentioned, a workaround is to disable Valgrind's MPI wrapper support.
 An alternative to "--with-mpicc=/some/path/that/does/not/exist" is
"--without-mpicc".

That said, this is actually a minor bug in MPICH2 that I'm surprised hasn't
cropped up until now.  I just fixed this on the MPICH2 trunk:
https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/changeset/7686

So if you need to use Valgrind's MPI support for some reason, you'll need to
upgrade your MPICH2 installation to tonight's nightly build or patch your
version manually instead of passing "--without-mpicc".  Contact me off-list if
you need more information about this.

-Dave