On May 24, 2011, at 12:02 PM CDT, John Reiser wrote:

>> Those are probably the most labor-intensive ways that you can do it.  It's
>> usually easier to just pass "--without-mpicc" to configure and use the
>> normal build process in all other respects.
>
> 1. No documentation: no mention of MPI in README*, no explicit list of
> packages
>   that might be eligible for --without-*, etc.
>
> 2. The default "-with-mpicc" does not work (it fails to detect the unusable
>   state on the original poster's machine), so the override "--without-mpicc"
>   should be regarded with suspicion.

I didn't mean it as any kind of personal slight, and I completely agree that
this is both under-documented and slightly buggy.  I just wanted to get the
easiest solution that I know actually works into the mail archives.

I've got ~1/2 of a patch to fix the mpicc detection already written that has
been shelved for a while, perhaps I should resume work on it.  If I can get
that working then none of these solutions should be necessary.

-Dave